Things to Buy on Sale in December
It’s here: the biggest shopping month of the year! With the winter holidays upon us almost any second, you’re being bombarded with gift ideas, sales, signs, commercials and anything else that marketing companies can come up with to make you buy, buy, buy. While you’re busy doing your holiday shopping, though, it’s a good idea to keep in mind the things that typically go on sale this time of year. You might find that one of these is the perfect gift item for someone special on your list, or you may decide to buy one of these sale items for your home to use throughout the year. Here’s the list of things that are on sale in December:
- Thanksgiving items. Since Thanksgiving dinner foods can also be enjoyed as part of your Christmas dinner, it makes sense to take advantage of low prices on turkeys, boxed stuffing, cranberry sauce and other holiday groceries. You can also pick up turkey-themed plates and napkins for a song; either use these for casual lunches this month (less cleanup!) or put a stash of them aside for next year’s Thanksgiving.
- Jewelry. Are you planning on getting someone a pair of diamond earrings or a ring with a precious stone? The prices won’t be quite as low as during non-gift-giving seasons, but you might be able to get a good bargain.
- Televisions. You’ll see steep discounts on Black Friday, but the low prices will come back after the middle of the month. This can apply to other electronics, like BluRay players, as well.
- DVDs and BluRay discs. People tend to buy movies for stocking stuffers as an impulse purchase, and the retailers know that if the prices are low, you just might grab a couple while you’re in the store for something else. Plan ahead and replenish your movie supply with some new favorites!
- Christmas decor. A few days before and certainly the days after Christmas, you’ll be able to grab ornaments, garland, gingerbread houses, creches, tablecloths and other holiday decorations for extremely low prices.
- Bicycles. Unless you live in one of the Southern states, chances are that you’re not riding bikes right now. The prices are slashed in order to keep inventory moving. Consider purchasing now and storing for a springtime birthday or one of the spring holidays!
- Groceries. Citrus fruits are in season right now, and prices on oranges, grapefruits and lemons are low. Also, nuts are on sale for holiday parties. You can stock up on these, because they will last for a long time. You can also get great deals on boxed chocolates. Even if you don’t want to use them right now, you can put some aside for chocolate indulgences in the new year! Look for BOGO deals and shop the stores app before you head out.
- Online Classes. This year we discovered that online cooking classes can be great for a date night or you can have the whole family cook along with you.
- Subscriptions: Audible, Spotify Premium or maybe Instacart or Shipt is a good gift idea this year.
While you can find great sales all month long, you’ll find the best ones after December 15th and right after Christmas, because retailers are trying to push out the old inventory before the new year.
Have you found any excellent bargains for December that you’d like to share with our readers?
great list thsnks
Looking for good tablet deals
What a helpful list! I’ve been seeing TV prices going down down …now I need a great price on a Kindle Fire …I missed the one for 129 on Cyber Monday!
December is really the biggest SALE event every year!
Actually a real bargain lies around your house waiting for you to pick up and give to those less fortunate. Lets make the best out of things that we have by sharing it to others.
thanks now i know what to buy on dec
I love seeing these lists. It makes everything more handy when I go shopping with a list. Especially on a small budget.
You can get the best of everything. Somobe always has a sales especially something I need
You can score a lot of great deals during this month.
I did not know that Jewelry is a great buy in December. I think maybe because Christmas time loved ones buy each other jewelry. I know that I always love getting jewelry for Christmas!
I never thought about the fruits…thanks for this!
Helpful idea! Thanks!
This is a great list, I will use it thanks
Thanks for sharing! I didn’t know that jewelry is cheaper this time of the year
Thanks for this info now i know i can plan for next year.
thank you for this i know what is a good deal and what to look for
Great List of Items! Thank you for the tips!
Great holiday shopping gift ideas
Great list. In the grocery store, it always seems like the baking items are on sale now. It’s a good time to stock up on those for the winter months ahead. January and February need cookies, too.
I’ve been on the lookout for a tv, great ideas!
I missed my chance at a Black Friday television…glad to know I’ll get another chance soon!
Great ideas. I think it’s very smart to buy holiday items the day after for the following year, talk about saving lots of money!!
thank you for this post!!
im looking for great tablets and laptop deals
This is GREAT advice! Thank you for listing it! I just may be in for a new bike!
nice tips. thanks for sharing.
What a great post! I am just discovering your site and really like this series of monthly posts. Thanks for compiling! 🙂
OH, How CONVENIENT that Jewelry is a good deal in DECEMBER! ;););0
Been leaving hints! After 6 kids I am finally thinking I deserve a little bit of sparkle maybe!
Great post. I will be looking each month is you do this. We miss all the sales and then usually go without.
Great list to go with.
I’m terrible at planning ahead. Thanks for the reminder. I always remember about the after Christmas sales BEFORE Christmas next year!
Great list. Like others have said, this is the first I’ve seen of this on your site but I’ll be looking each month. Thank you.
I love reading about where to find the best deals. Thanks so much.
I love getting holiday deals the day after. Better than black friday deals on some items
I love getting a great deal and more so at the holiday’s , money is really tight this year so thanks for all your info 😉
Thanks for the list
thanks for the information, helps to pick up extra thats on sale to put back for birthdays too..
It’s great to have a reminder list of bargains to look for. Thank you!
Thanks for letting me know. This was very helpful
I live in a tourist town. We have a boardwalk and amusement piers. Our piers have season passes that if bought in December you ccan get the greatest discount, $260.00 where regular price is $450.00. After Christmas that price will go up but still not to full price it will most likely go to $350.00 through to Easter Sunday. Easter Monday the passes will be full price. So all the locals children know that under the tree there will be their season pass. 🙂
This is a great list! I think I will be doing a little extra shopping this month. Thanks for the tips.
Thank you for all the ideas–maybe there is hope for me yet
Thanks for the list. I didn’t know that fruit woulb be a deal in December
I’d love a yearly list of what to buy and when.
I have seen a ton of unbelievable sales on amazon! I think, while they’re on sale for December, we will buy our kids all the LOTR dvd’s.
Thanks for these lists! I have learned some that I did not know before! It really pays to watch and keep track of what’s on sale when! That way I can plan ahead for my purchases! Great info!
Thanks for this list, we are waiting to buy a new car til february hopefully, keep your fingers crossed for us
Smart idea on the bikes. I already bought one in the summer but should have waited.
Thanks for the ideas!
Went and got me a new laptop
ty for your ideas
Thank you for all the helpful tips!!!
I didnt know about the citrus fruits being in season during this time.
I find a lot of these items to buy in December interesting. I heard from a number of people that waiting to buy a TV in January that you will find a better deal. I sure have seen a lot of TV’s this month on sale for very little money!
Love to shop after Christmas for my B-day, Dec. 30! Thanks for the chance to win.
I would love to buy clearance Christmas ball ornaments to make wreaths to give away for next year! I am already stalking the stores.
What a great site! Thanks for sharing!
I will definitely be getting a bike when it goes on sale. It seems like I can never keep one running year after year b/c the kids ride them like crazy during the summer.
Thank you for the info!
I had no idea about the citrus fruits! It *is* my favorite time to eat oranges, though. 🙂
This is a great list of things. I know usually after Christmas some things are cheaper to buy . I didnt think about citrus fruits being cheaper now. Thats good to know because I love fruit.
Good to keep this handy when needing to buy something. Sure helps alot. Thanks
Thanks for this list! I need a new tv!
I knew some of these but groceries surprised me. I suppose with all of the holiday dinners in Dec it makes sense.
awesome information, thanks for sharing!
I was going to buy my kid a bike for christmas, but a relative beat me to it – either way, he won’t be riding it in the 13-degree weather here in Illinois but he’ll have it for spring!
Just today I got 2 boxes of Hallmark brand greeting cards for 75% off (paid $7 instead of $28) and I was super thrilled about that. Also I bought 2 bars of Ghirardelli peppermint bark for less than $3 and an assortment of Christmas cookies. They taste just as good as any other cookies and we like red and green sprinkles anyway! Also bought some red and green colored tortilla chips – we eat lots of those with taco salads and rice/bean dishes and so $1.25 instead of $2.50 is always a good idea.
Our family doesn’t do anything special for Thanksgiving, nor do we do jewelry or tv-related purchases so those things don’t benefit us. But we do eat lots of nuts and I tend to buy oranges when they’re on sale to make juice, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for deals on those.