It’s here: the biggest shopping month of the year! The holidays are here, and so are the deals! For bargain hunters and savvy shoppers, December is one of the best times of the year to score major savings on gifts, holiday goods, experiences, electronics, cold-weather apparel, and more. Retailers are slashing prices left and right in an attempt to hit their targets before the new year. From Black Friday to New Year’s Day – it’s weeks of non-stop sales. Whether you still need to check some names off your gift list or want to treat yourself while prices are low, get ready to shop because we’ve rounded up the very best sales to take advantage of this month. Here’s the list of things that are on sale in December:
- Thanksgiving items. Since Thanksgiving dinner foods can also be enjoyed as part of your Christmas dinner, it makes sense to take advantage of low prices on turkeys, boxed stuffing, cranberry sauce, and other holiday groceries. You can also pick up turkey-themed plates and napkins for a song; either use these for casual lunches this month (less cleanup!) or put a stash aside for next year’s Thanksgiving.
- Jewelry. Are you planning on getting someone a pair of diamond earrings or a ring with a precious stone? The prices won’t be quite as low as during non-gift-giving seasons, but you might be able to get a good bargain.
- Televisions. You’ll see steep discounts on Black Friday, but the low prices will come back after the middle of the month.
- Christmas decor. A few days before and certainly the days after Christmas, you’ll be able to grab ornaments, garland, gingerbread houses, creches, tablecloths, and other holiday decorations for extremely low prices.
- Bicycles. Unless you live in one of the Southern states, chances are that you’re not riding bikes right now. The prices are slashed in order to keep inventory moving. Consider purchasing now and storing it for a springtime birthday or one of the spring holidays!
- Groceries. Citrus fruits are in season right now, and prices of oranges, grapefruits, and lemons are low. Also, nuts are on sale for holiday parties. You can stock up on these because they will last for a long time. You can also get great deals on boxed chocolates. Even if you don’t want to use them right now, you can put some aside for chocolate indulgences in the new year! Look for BOGO deals and shop the stores’ app before you head out.
- Online Classes. This year, we discovered that online cooking classes can be great for a date night or have the whole family cook with you.
- Subscriptions: Audible, Spotify Premium, Instacart, or Shipt is a good gift idea this year.
While you can find great sales all month, you’ll find the best ones after December 15th and right after Christmas because retailers are trying to push out the old inventory before the new year.
The flurry of holiday sales extends through the end of December, which means there’s still ample time to shop and save. As each year comes to a close, retailers move aggressively to clear out inventory before the next cycle begins. Take advantage of this time-sensitive opportunity to purchase items you’ll actually use throughout the next year. Remember to employ smart shopping strategies – make lists, compare prices across retailers, read the fine print on discounts, and leverage coupons or cash back when possible. Follow these tips and enjoy the very merriest of deals this holiday season!
Have you found any excellent bargains for December that you’d like to share with our readers?