It may not feel like fall quite yet in all parts of the country but fall is officially here! October brings images of pumpkin carving, the last weeks of apple picking, fall fairs, long sleeves, colorful leaves and chilly nights. We are somewhere in between it not being back-to-school season anymore, and it’s not quite time to start decorating for the winter holidays. October was always my favorite month, growing up in New England: The weather was gorgeous and so was the fall foliage!
October is also a great time to get some good buys on items that you can use all year long. Here are some best bets for shopping this month:
- Home Appliances. New refrigerators models and other larger appliances come out later this month, so now’s a great time to get a good deal on one of last year’s models. If you’re in the market for a new dishwasher, washing machine or similar appliance, take a ride to your nearest home store to check out how much bang you can get for your buck.
- Cookware. Pots, pans and baking sheets go on sale in October in preparation for the upcoming season of cooking, serving and entertaining. Go through your stash, and if you find it lacking, take advantage of deals on cookware.
- Toys. You probably won’t find the absolute lowest deals this month, but it might be worth it to start your holiday shopping now if you have kids on your list. You will be able to score some nice bargains, and won’t have to battle the crowds. Win win!
- Jeans. These went on sale last month in preparation for back-to-school shopping, but you should still be able to scope out some denim sales in October especially around Columbus Day. You may be able to find buy on get one 50% off deals!
- Winter Clothing. Although they won’t be deeply discounted until after the holidays, if you know that you need a new coat, boots or other winter apparel, now’s not a bad time to look for good deals. They’ll be marked up shortly so that they can be marked down for sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so shop early if you can’t wait until after Christmas.
- Jewelry. People tend to buy jewelry around the holidays and Mother’s Day, but not so much after wedding season has waned and before the Christmas lights start making everyone feel cheery and bright. It might be a good time to negotiate a great deal.
- Outdoor items. Because picnic season has passed for most of the country, store owners want to get rid of their grills, patio furniture, lawn umbrellas and other things that you would pay high prices for during the spring and summer. The selection might be limited, but the bargains are great. Just find somewhere to store them and you may be able to save up to 50% off so they can make room for holiday items.
- Laptops. There was a surge of laptop-buying right before school started, but now there won’t be another one until right before Christmas, which makes October a great time to buy a laptop, netbook or other compact computer system.
- Halloween Costumes. These are only a great deal during the last few days of the month. If you’re a last-minute shopper, though, you can get a great deal (though the pickings may be slim). Almost all online sites offer a coupon or free shipping so check for those.
Of course, at the grocery store or produce market, you can be raking in good deals on apples, pears, pumpkins, gourds, sweet potatoes and other traditional autumn produce.
Have you found any great deals coming up over the next few weeks? Share them with our readers!