Things to Buy on Sale in July
Can you believe that we’re already halfway through the year? It’s already July, and retailers are taking advantage of the hot weather, Independence Day and school starting next month in many areas. You’ll see “Christmas in July” sales at many stores, and occasionally, the deals rival those that you might find on Black Friday! This month, keep your eye on all of those circulars and flyers that you get in the mail or in the newspaper, because you never know where you might find a great deal. In the meantime, here are some bargains that you can usually take advantage of in July:
- Swimwear The selection of beach attire might be lower than it was last month, but so are the prices. It’s not too late to pick up a bathing suit, and in many places, beach season is just beginning!
- School Supplies If you live in an area where school starts in early August, you’ll see prices on crayons, pencils, pens, folders and more take a nosedive in July. In years past, I’ve gotten boxes of Crayola crayons for a quarter and notebooks for 10 or 15 cents! If school starts after Labor Day in your state, though, then don’t expect to see steep savings until next month.
- Furniture Furniture manufacturers often put out new lines in the fall, so now’s the time for retailers to start discounting their current stock. If you’re in the market for a new living room set or a dining room table, check out the sales this month.
- Dorm Room Essentials Do you know anyone going off to college? Or do you simply want to outfit your kids’ twin-sized beds with new sheets and comforters, or stock the playroom with beanbag chairs or a new desk? With high school graduates nervously preparing to head off toward higher learning, the retailers are making it easier by discounting the things they’ll need to outfit their dorm rooms in style.
- Paint If you have rooms that need to be spruced up or you’re thinking about painting the house a new color, July is a good time to stock up on house paint. In this case, the sales are about supply and demand: many people completed their home improvement projects in the spring, or will wait until the cooler months of the fall, so the hottest month of the year can bring you big savings.
- Golf Clubs If you like the idea of spending the day on the golf course, you might be able to score a good deal on clubs this month.
- Airline Tickets Many airlines are pushing weekend getaways in July, making summer travel easy on the budget. If you have the flexibility to fly on short notice, this could enable you to take a great last-minute family vacation!
- Patriotic Products After the Fourth, you can stock up on flag-themed napkins and other party supplies, flags, fireworks and other items in red, white and blue. Use them throughout the summer, or put them away for next year!
Happy July shopping!