Water Conservation Tips
Our state is currently experiencing one of the worse droughts in its history. We are 41 inches below in the rainfall total compared to last year and every day it seems to get hotter and hotter. Many counties around us are now only allowed to water their grass once and week and we are next. It got me thinking as to what the kids and I could do to conserve water. Saving water saves energy so we are doing a great thing for the planet. Here are a few tips:
- Only run the washer and dishwasher when they are completely full.
- When cleaning up outside use a broom instead of water to get leaves and bugs off the driveway.
- Be conscience as to how long you take in the shower and cut it short by a couple minutes.
- Consider brushing your teeth and washing your face in the shower to save water
- When brushing your teeth at the sink do not let the water run. Same goes for shaving
- If drinking water thoughout the day try to use the same glass so there are not as many dishes to wash.
- Teach your kids to make sure the faucet is turned off after every use
- If you have to wash your car – try to find a car wash that uses recycled water
- Do not let the water run while you are doing the dishes. Instead let things soak
- When staying at a hotel try to use your towel for more than one day to help save water
- Avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily
- If you are not under water restrictions and can water your lawn try to do it early in the morning
- Soak your fruits and vegetables in a bowl of water rather than running them under the water