It’s always fun to look back on the old year, and 2012 is no exception. Whether you’ve had a great year or are looking forward to things getting better in 2013, I hope that we can all find something to remember and smile about as we get ready to jump into the brand new year later tonight!
Today, try to come up with a list of wonderful things that happened this past year. Make a list! It can be difficult to remember because time passes by so quickly, so here are a few strategies to help you remember your favorite things and happenings of 2012:
- Glance through your planner. Even a quick look will remind you of where you were, when you took your vacations and when people came to visit you. If you took a trip this year, be sure to add that to the list!
- Add all of the holidays to your list, and think hard about how you spent them. Did you do anything special on Valentine’s Day? Where did you eat Easter dinner? If it was at your house, who else was there? What did your children give you for Mother’s Day? What did the kids dress up as for Halloween? Going through these holidays will help you to remember other things, as well; thinking about Mother’s Day gifts might remind you of the picnic lunch that you had the day before, right after you went shopping for gifts for your mom and mother-in-law, for example.
- Think in terms of seasons of the year. What were some of the things you did in the winter, spring, summer and fall of 2012? Did the family go sledding, plant a new garden, have a pool party, rake a pile of leaves bigger than your son?
- Look through the photos on your phone. Most of us don’t have time to keep up with everything; I know that I’m guilty of snapping pictures with my camera and never even uploading them onto my computer! Take a look through, remembering good times and deleting the ones that you took of your fingers or feet.
- Go through your Facebook or Twitter account. That’s always a fun trip down memory lane! Seeing what your status was on a random day of the year may bring back quite a bit of random information that you might have forgotten about.
So, once you have a nice long list of wonderful things that happened in 2012, what can you do with it? Write it down in a pretty notebook, make a scrapbook together or put your memories on slips of paper, put them in a jar and draw them out occasionally when you’re feeling nostalgic. A great time to look over them again would be next year on December 31; then you could compare the fun things you did in 2012 with those that you did in 2013!
We wish you a safe, happy and fun New Year’s Eve, and health and happiness as we enter 2013!