November 20 is Absurdity Day
It’s always fun to take advantage of silly holidays with our kids; after they’re grown up, it won’t be half as entertaining! November 20 is Absurdity Day, and this one begs for recognition. When you’re a parent, absurdity goes along with the territory, so this is just one day when you can fully embrace it. It falls on a school day, so you probably can’t get too crazy unless you get your child’s class involved, which may or may not be possible. Still, here are a few ideas to get you started. Just let these jog your imagination, and make sure to get your kids’ input, since by nature, they’re probably more absurd than you are!
- Start early by serving them something outrageous for breakfast. It could be grilled chicken and rice, or it might be pizza that you had delivered after they went to bed the night before in preparation for the morning. Or do something silly like switching the cereal bags inside of the boxes, so that when they pour out the Rice Krispies, Honey Nut Cheerios come out instead.
- Hand them their packed lunches in a bucket, an old washed-out coffee can, or some other nontraditional container. They might balk at actually carrying it to school, but you will at least get a laugh out of them early in the morning!
- Encourage everyone to wear something absurd and silly. It might be a pair of Mickey Mouse ears, a huge bow tie, a pair of glasses with a fake nose, a stripe of colorful sunblock across your cheeks, a bouquet of flowers on your head, two different shoes… be creative!
- While they’re at school, buy a bunch of helium balloons and decorate the kitchen as though you’re preparing for a birthday party. (This will only work if it’s not actually someone’s birthday!)
- When school is over for the day, do something out-of-the-blue. Go skip stones at a local pond, for example, or sit everyone down to cut out snowflakes in various construction paper colors.
- Choose a silly movie to watch before bed. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Monsters, Inc are two that elicit a lot of laughs in my house. An alternative is to show something that’s very not-seasonal, such as This is America, Charlie Brown, which is about the 4th of July.
As you can see, there are hundreds of absurd things that you could do on Absurdity Day. You know what tickles your family’s funny bone the most, so pick something that will make everybody laugh, and be sure to have fun!
This is too cool..except EVERY day with my crazy family is Absurdity day! I just told my daughter and she’s downstairs telling her brothers and probably planning the celebration of the rest of this awesome holiday (I feel sorry for the neighbors and their dad when he gets home)
I’ll do this today! Got nothing better to do!
didn’t even know about this day..wish i knew earlier than now!! it sounds like a crazy fun day
ummm? really? how absurd!
Every day is absurdity day around here…:)
Wish I had this information when I was raising my kids. You have some great ideas, and next time I visit my grandson, I may put some of them to use. Thanks for showing how much fun can be had out of the mundain!
Fun! Now we have an excuse to get all crazy. 🙂
Love this,an new marketing tool to use. Can wait ti try some of ur ideas
I thought with kids, every day is absurdity day! Looks like my kids school got it wrong, they are celebrating silly hat day on Thursday!
This would have been fun! LOL
I’ve never heard of Absurdity Day before. Sounds like a lot of fun! But I missed it 🙁
As a former Reaading teacher, all I could think of was, “what a great vcabulary lesson!” lol
Thanks for making me giggle, I didn’t know there was an Absurdity Day. I’m a bit sad I missed it, but then, every day is Absurdity Day for me anyway.
I just can’t believe some of the odd celebration days, and this is certainly one of them! Never heard of this until today.
Aw man, I missed absurdity day! But you are right, when you have kids, you experience at least a little absurdity every day!
I tried to get my coworkers to do Absurdity Day with me…I ended up being the only one who looked ABSURD…as usual. LOL!
Ditto @Crystal everyday is absurdity in my home, but what a fun to celebrate this new holiday
ha ha, these are so funny. I had no idea we miss absurdity day…we’ll have to make it up 🙂
I didn’t know that ABSURDITY has its own day!
What a cute a fun Holiday to have with the kids! Getting to do something that is fun and crazy is good to have a laugh, and not to take things so seriously! I did not know that November 20 is Absurdity day! I am going to have to celebrate this day late!