Make Up Your Own Holiday Day
Have you ever wanted to make up your own holiday? Perhaps you wish that we celebrated your favorite hobby or what you feel is an overlooked occupation. Or maybe you just like observing the fun, trivial or puzzling things in life and wish there was a celebration to match some of these quirky ideas. If so, you are in luck, because March 26 is “Make Up Your Own Holiday Day.” You could definitely have a lot of fun with this, and I’m sure that your kids could, too! Celebrate anything you want, in any way that you want! Is this too broad of a suggestion? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Family relationships. We celebrate mothers, fathers and grandparents on their respective holidays throughout the year. What about cousins, though? Or great-aunts? If you have a relative whose relationship you don’t celebrate on an official holiday, now’s your chance to honor her with her own special holiday. This could go beyond the family, too… how about next-door neighbors day? Observe your holiday by inviting the guest of honor over for dinner, presenting her with handmade gifts and showering her with attention and appreciation.
- Hobbies. What are some of your and your kids’ favorite hobbies? You could have Art Day, Chess Day, Guitar Day, or Crossword Puzzle Day… or maybe you’d like to learn about a new-to-you hobby? How about stamp-collecting day? Or ice-fishing day? You don’t necessarily have to partake in the hobby of honor; you could just read about it or watch a documentary, or perhaps talk to someone who does it on a regular basis.
- Different areas of the world. Go ahead and make up your own cultural awareness day. It can be the culture that your ancestors called their own, or maybe one that just seems interesting to you. Eat ethnic foods and learn a few words in the language of the culture’s people.
- Favorite foods. Cheese Day? Ice Cream Day? Coconut Cream Pie Day? Choose your favorite foods and make it a holiday all about them.
- Something silly. You could have Backwards Day or Paint Your Toenails Purple Day, Whistle a Happy Song Day, Hop on One Foot Day, Wear Socks On Your Hands Day… ask your kids; they’ll come up with something ridiculous if given the chance! Brainstorm with the family and think of the silliest thing you can, then celebrate it!
Were you able to come up with a holiday that’s all your own? How did you celebrate? Give our readers some ideas. While today is the official Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, there’s nothing stopping you from making up your own holiday any day that you choose, so if you found about about this too late, then plan your own holiday for next week or next month!
Love it! I just posted about the holiday on my Quirky Marketing Calendar Blog. Feel free to check it out and leave a comment. Thanks for sharing the great ideas. I especially like the “something silly,” ideas.
Heidi Richards Mooney
This sounds like so much fun!!!
Love this…any reason to get together with family.
Sounds awesome!!! Any family get together sounds great to me!!