It’s August already! This is typically the time to stock up on back-to-school items if you live in a state that doesn’t start back to school until the end of the month or after Labor Day. (You might still be able to get some great deals in the states that start earlier, as well, but your selection may be limited.) We recently picked up some Crayola crayons for 50 cents and composition books for the same price, which are both bargains! Besides kiddie school supplies, though, what else can you save money on this month? Here are a few items to buy on sale in August:
- Dorm furniture. Whether you’re buying a bean bag chair for your pre-teen, stackable storage for your craft room or a new futon for your spare room, August is a great time to shop for these items. Of course, this is also a boon if you actually have a child moving into a dorm this month!
- Bathing suits for next year. Or, if you live in the steamy South, for the rest of this year’s beach-and-pool season! The stores want to clear out their summer items in anticipation for fall’s cooler weather, so although your options might be limited, you’ll probably be able to stock up on swimwear for a song. Also on sale are flip-flops, sandals, and other summertime apparel and footwear.
- Outdoor furniture. If you’ve been waiting for the lowest prices on patio furniture, now’s the time to buy. These items tend to take up a lot of room in stores, so they’re likely to want them cleared out. Camping equipment and outdoor toys (think swingsets and plastic play houses) fall into this category, as well.
- Computers and laptops. In catering to the back-to-college crowd, electronic stores are slashing prices on computers in August. If you know you’ll need to upgrade this year, now’s a good time to check out the models on sale.
- Flights and hotels. The travel season is slowing down, so you might be able to get a good deal on a vacation in August or September. If you’re able to travel once the school year begins, you can really save a lot of money.
- Sneakers. Although prices on home exercise equipment is starting to rise, you can still get a bargain on athletic shoes as prices are lowered for those needing new shoes for school and college.
August is the beginning of the major harvest season, so a lot of fruits and veggies are coming into season. If you have a garden (or your neighbor has one), you’re probably up to your eyeballs in tomatoes and zucchini! If not, these should be on sale at your local farmers’ market or produce stand. Other veggies that are ripening quickly include cucumbers, corn, peppers and summer squash. While the fruit of fall isn’t ready yet, you can still save on watermelon, peaches, plums, cantaloupe and most berries.
Have you found any great deals in August? Leave a comment to let our readers know! Happy August shopping!