Things to Buy on Sale in August
- Dorm furniture. Whether you’re buying a bean bag chair for your pre-teen, stackable storage for your craft room or a new futon for your spare room, August is a great time to shop for these items. Of course, this is also a boon if you actually have a child moving into a dorm this month!
- Bathing suits for next year. Or, if you live in the steamy South, for the rest of this year’s beach-and-pool season! The stores want to clear out their summer items in anticipation for fall’s cooler weather, so although your options might be limited, you’ll probably be able to stock up on swimwear for a song. Also on sale are flip-flops, sandals, and other summertime apparel and footwear.
- Outdoor furniture. If you’ve been waiting for the lowest prices on patio furniture, now’s the time to buy. These items tend to take up a lot of room in stores, so they’re likely to want them cleared out. Camping equipment and outdoor toys (think swingsets and plastic play houses) fall into this category, as well.
- Computers and laptops. In catering to the back-to-college crowd, electronic stores are slashing prices on computers in August. If you know you’ll need to upgrade this year, now’s a good time to check out the models on sale.
- Sneakers. Although prices on home exercise equipment is starting to rise, you can still get a bargain on athletic shoes as prices are lowered for those needing new shoes for school and college.
August is the beginning of the major harvest season, so a lot of fruits and veggies are coming into season. If you have a garden (or your neighbor has one), you’re probably up to your eyeballs in tomatoes and zucchini! If not, these should be on sale at your local farmers’ market or produce stand. Other veggies that are ripening quickly include cucumbers, corn, peppers and summer squash. While the fruit of fall isn’t ready yet, you can still save on watermelon, peaches, plums, cantaloupe and most berries.
Have you found any great deals in August? Leave a comment to let our readers know! Happy August shopping!
I always make my office supplies shopping at the back-to-college season!
Great shopping tips. We always try to take advantage of the end of summer sales too.
So true on bathing suits for next year and hotels! My husband and I got a great deal on a 4 star hotel for only 93 dollars a night for next weekend!
I would think to buy the dorm furniture in the off season as being in-season the price hikes would occur.
I wish I could find some of those travel deals – especially on car rentals! I am traveling next month and could sure use some good deals (or to win some real cash!). Thanks for the tips!
Very good list. I’m looking for replacement outdoor furniture cushions and I’ve missed the sales at Home Depot and Target but Lowes has a ton of them and very few are marked down yet, but I will be visiting that store a couple of times a week. They’re going to have to go on sale at some point!