Swallowing Gum Myths

TinaB | July 31, 2011 | 1 Comment

Is it true that if your child swallows a piece of gum, it will take 7 years to digest? This is a myth.  Some of the ingredients in gum are digestible.  The part of the gum or anything else that is consumed that is indigestible, will pass through the gastrointestinal tract and be released by the body. It does not stick to the stomach or intestines for years.  Does that mean that gum is safe?  We aren’t suggesting that.  It’s not a great choice.  After all, gum has no nutritional value, and the primary ingredients are gum base, flavorings and colorings, preservatives, sweeteners and softeners.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Tasha says:

    Ha! I just happened to spot this title, and I’m glad I did. The “Swallowing gum myth”, it’s just not something I’ve ever questioned, I figured it had to be true. Well, thanks for clearing that up!

Leave a Reply

Exit mobile version