Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army’s victory over French invaders in 1862. Today it is celebrated not only in Mexico but in the US as well. We LOVE mexican food (as a matter of fact tacos are on our weekly family menu) and we can’t wait to have our fiesta tonight! Here are some of the recipes we love to have not just today but when we crave mexican food!
Ro-Tel Famous Queso Dip Recipe
Not so healthy but quick and easy – only two ingredients and a microwave needed!
- Chipotle’s Guacamole Recipe – even with video instruction from a chef
- Cantina Laredo’s tableside Guacamole
- 7 layer Cold Mexican Layer Dip – so yummy, a football season staple in our house
- Healthy Taco Salad recipe | DrGreene.com
This version of a taco salad is an upside-down version of the traditional. Chopped romaine and cilantro instead of chips.
- Closet Cooking: Oatmeal Burrito Bowl
A deconstructed burrito served in a bowl with, steel cut oats (oatmeal), melted cheese, seasoned black beans, fresh pico de gallo, avocado and sour cream.
- Chicken nachos recipe from ‘The Biggest Loser’
Recipe I saw on the todayshow last year – it is a crowd hit and is healthy compared to most other nacho recipes
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken – this is what I am making for dinner tonight! I love Crockpot recipes, this one is a favorite of mine and so easy to make! We add cheese and sour cream to make is a little cheesy
- Stacked Chicken Enchiladas
- Williams and Sonoma has a great selection of recipes for Cinco de Mayo
- Salsa Verde Beef – I haven’t tried this recipe but I love this site. The picture alone made me want to try it – so this recipe is on my list for this weekend!
- Carnitas in the Crockpot – so easy and delicious!
- Guacamole – we take 3 avocados, fresh cilantro, red onions and some Gluten Free Corn Chips!
We have quite a few dietary issues in our family and have adapted to FODMAP friendly foods. Fody, a great company, has some great recipes that are FODMAP sensetive.
We also are dairy free on quite a few occasions. This 5-Minute Vegan Cashew Queso from the Minimalist baker is our go to recipe. We also love the Siete line of gluten free chips and tortillas.
What are you having this Cinco de Mayo ?
Don’t forget to to visit our food section for more tips and recipes