In honor of National Tooth Fairy Day we’ve put together some fun facts about teeth that you can share with your little one.
- Teeth begin to form when babies are still in their mama’s belly
- Children tend to get their first teeth between 6-12 months old
- The top surface of the tooth is the hardest party of the human body
- Everyone’s teeth are unique and no two set of teeth are the same, similar to fingerprints
- We only can see about 2/3’s of our teeth because 1/3rd of them are actually underneath of the gums
- On average, individuals spend about 38 days over their lifetime brushing their teeth
- The soreness that a lot of kids, and adults, feel after their burn their mouth on a piece of pizza is called pizza palette
- Left handed people tend to chew their food on the left side of their mouth and right handed people tend to chew food on the right side of their mouth
- The drool that your baby produces is actually quite useful as it aids in digestion and protects their new teeth from bacteria that is naturally found in their mouth
For optimal mouth health, help your kids brush their teeth at least two times a day. Teach them to floss starting at a young age to encourage proper dental health. Many diseases like diabetes and heart disease have actually been linked to poor oral hygiene. Proper brushing and flossing habits now, may have a positive impact on your kids throughout their entire lifetime.
How much does the tooth fairy leave at your house?