What can you do during this month to make your baby safer?
- Do a Car seat safety check. Make sure it is properly installed (refer to installation instructions and vehicle owner’s manual).
- If you have a pool make sure that there is a fence around it and a pool alarm.
- Check online to make sure there have not been any recalls on your baby’s crib. Examine your crib frequently for hazards: loose parts, off-kilter joints, splinters, chipped paint. If you spot a problem, fix it immediately. Make sure that the spaces between the crib slats are no wider than 2 ?” apart.
- Go ahead and do the same recall check on your stroller to make sure everything is ok.
- Are all your electrical outlets covered up so that baby cannot stick anything in there? Universal Outlet Plug Cover 3-Pack Less hassle than plug-in caps (no broken fingernails) and better looking, too. Pull out a plug, and the safety plate slides automatically in place, covering the socket. Hinged Outlet Covers (set of 12) The perfect outlet covers for frequently-used outlets! These twin plug protectors are attached, so when you’re using half of a double outlet, the cap you’ve removed won’t wander off.
- Check the water heater temperature and make sure it is set to 120 degrees F
- Is your child’s furniture anchored down? Mommy’s Helper No Tip Furniture Safety Brackets 4-Pack
: These furniture braces could save your child’s life. Every year, thousands of children are seriously hurt, some fatally, by falling furniture.
- Crawl around your house on your hands and knees to check for any potential hazards you may have missed.
Do you have any additional tips?????
There is nothing quite like the excitement of having a new baby in your family. Keeping your baby safe and comfortable becomes a new priority. JPMA created a brochure to guide you in baby product safety, use and selection. Safe & Sound for Baby illustrates the proper use of many juvenile products, including bassinets/cradles, cribs, crib toys and pacifiers, infant bedding, play yards, toddler beds. For a downloadable version of the Safe & Sound for Baby brochure click here for the English version, or click here for the Spanish version.