Bringing out the Mad Scientist in Your Child
Science Fair season is here! Science and technology is all around us. Just look in your purse and pull out your iPhone. AH ha! You found the invention from a computer genius Steve Jobs as he went after his dreams. Exposing our children to inspirational people and minds helps to motivate them to achieve more.
How do I get my child to think like a scientist? Talk to your child and keep scientific terms and vocabulary repetitious. Sharpen up your skills and pull out that old high school Science 101 textbook and refresh yourself on key vocabulary terms. They may seem like really big words for your toddler, but remember they are little sponges and you’ll be amazed in time what they’ve learned.
Now how can you encourage science in your children?
- Look at the world as an open canvas. No matter the age of your child point out and talk with them about what you see. “Look, at the ice in the glass. Watch how it melts with the warm temperature.” You want to stimulate your child’s mind. Real world example: Summer will be here before we know it. Everyone loves a nice popsicle on a hot summer day. This is a great “real world” example of ice melting (change of state in matter from solid to liquid).
- If your child has a question….answer it. As you continue to answer your child’s questions, you will spark their interests.
- Even the most difficult questions always need answers…. Just Google it! Google is an amazing resource.
- Do hands on experiments. Real World example: Consider your Easter eggs….it a mixture of vinegar and food coloring.
- Explore your own backyard! Collect leaf samples and try to figure out what it’s name is!
- Visit a local science museum, planetarium
- Visit a local zoo….discuss habitats, and animal classifications
Before you know it your child’s world is immersed with Science.